Monday, February 8, 2010

Valentine's day is coming...

One of my most despised days of the year. A day I choose not to leave my home despite pleas from my girlfriend to "go out and do something". Clearly she sees the day in a very different way than I.

I hate Valentine's day.

There's this scene in The Simpsons which makes me think of Valentine's day every time I watch it. The one where Mr. Burns falls in love with Marge (Season 4, Episode 5 - Marge Gets a Job). In an infatuated high over Marge, Mr. Burns cries out over the PA System: "Everyone who has found true love may leave early today!". The power plant employees all flee with delight as the scene pans to one guy with a sad, empty look on his face and a tear rolling down his cheek as he wipes it away.

For me, this is what Valentine's day is about. A day that kicks people who are down.

Obviously, this day is meant to be viewed more as a celebration of love. But I don't see it that way. Love is not a race, it comes when it comes. There is no reward for being in love when others aren't. Love does not need a day for it to be celebrated.

I would consider myself a hopeless romantic. I like sappy chick flicks. I like the Notebook, Serendipity, Moulin Rouge, and A Walk to Remember. I get touched and my heart melts when I feel love, a love that manages to triumph over any obstacle.

But I don't feel that love on Valentine's day. Not in the slightest.


.
.
.
By the way, has anyone seen my manhood? I seem to have misplaced it while writing this post...

3 comments:

  1. I agree. Anyways, its just a day created by the greeting card companies and swallowed up by people deserate for special days to stay in business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What surprises me is the people who fall for it. Well, I guess "fall for it" is incorrect, I guess these people WANT to celebrate it. I'll never understand people. They suck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karol said...

    something interesting. Following this post, I suggest you read it here.

    ReplyDelete