Thursday, February 4, 2010

I will train my kids to play videogames.

I brought this up before but I wanted to clarify that I'm completely serious. I hated Chinese school and piano lessons as a child partly because I was forced into it and partly because it was boring. I eventually traded piano for math school (Kumon), something I had to convince my parents to do. I guess they figured either would be good but I believe that because I CHOSE math school, I enjoyed it much more.

For my kids, I'd probably give them the option of playing video game x, y or z. Let them decide what they want to do, so they don't hate it for being forced.

I figure that on night A, they should get the option to play Tetris, Kirby's Avalanche, Tetris Attack, or Super Puzzle Fighter. All 4 are basically the same premise: get specific arrangements with color/shaped blocks to survive.
I think these types of games help with quick thinking, quick decision making, short term planning, short term memory, and finally reaction time - all of which are good skills to develop.

Night B would be some other games. Super Mario Kart to teach them how to drive. Super Street Fighter to teach them how to fight. Contra III: Alien Wars to teach them how to survive alien wars. Okay, THIS whole paragraph was a joke...(but the rest of the post thus far had been serious).

I would play my kids and destroy them until they eventually surpassed me. Much like Samurai Nanjirou trained Echizen Ryoma (Prince of Tennis) or Fujiwara Bunta trained Takumi (Initial D) or Sai trained Hikaru (Hikaru no Go).

I think we're all thinking 1 of 2 things here:
1. Warren, this is the most ridiculous post ever. I can't believe you're serious. I have lost all respect for you.
or
2. Warren, your kids are going to hate you.

I'm prepared for both.

See below for my game analysis:


2 comments:

  1. oh right...I will teach them to play Megaman in hopes that they will learn to evolve and adapt, a necessary skill of survival. If you can master Megaman, you can be king of the world!

    ReplyDelete