Sunday, February 28, 2010

I'm going crazy. Seriously.

When I'm in a high emotional state, my mind starts racing and I sometimes develop a moment of Apophenia.

Apophenia
Apophenia is the experience of seeing patterns or connections in random or meaningless data.

I don't know quite how to explain it...maybe you saw Russel Crowe in A Beautiful Mind or The Question from the Justice League. You see....connections between things that don't have any connections. I feel like I'm in a state of heightened awareness or...I don't know how to explain it. Like when you play pool and see all the angles to the balls that you wouldn't regularly see.

I was reading all these connections today...very subtle and unimportant but for me, they were undeniable connections between things. Now, a few hours later, I'm sure these connections never existed. I can see..what I was thinking, but I don't know how I came to believe them, they're so...impossible.

Lately, I've also been experiencing Pareidolia

Pareidolia
Pareidolia is a type of apophenia involving the finding of images or sounds in random stimuli

Zena's seen this in action when I believe my iPhone is vibrating when it's not. I'm not sure what it is but I constantly hear the sound of my iPhone vibrating as well as my Xylophone alarm right after I wake up when it's not actually on. I would end up checking my phone repeatedly to turn off the alarm but the alarm wouldn't be on. It might be conditioning, that I associate that sound to the morning or something...but I don't see how that would fool my sense of hearing.

Also, lately at work when I'm listening to music, I "hear" my name being called randomly. I turn around and no one's said anything. It's usually Ron who's voice I "hear". I only noticed it these last 2 weeks, but I remember when Karol first started, a couple months ago, I kept "hearing" my name when she hadn't said anything. Zena's noticed this too, I keep thinking she's said something when she hasn't. All of the above are either girls or are soft-spoken. I had a lot of trouble hearing Ron when I first met him...Karol as well (and still). Maybe their voices are kinda like...phantom voices that I hear mixed within other sounds...

Wow....you know, at first this was a 1/2 serious post. I had already written my closing joke for the post: "Seriously, I think it's safe to say that I'm simply going crazy. It's okay, long ago did I accept the onset of senility." But writing more into it and coming up with recent specific examples is actually scaring me a bit. GG Warren, you've scared yourself into stress and anxiety, right before you were about to sleep.

Seriously, I'm going to have to monitor this. This could potentially be...a very very bad thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment