Monday, March 15, 2010

Hi. I'm Warren. I'm a web developer.

While I'm on my life high, I thought I should write about this profession that I love. I'm a bit disappointed though, there's not really any passion in this post...despite being a profession I love. I guess I'm not feeling it today....

I originally started out as a web designer. My skills were mostly focused around Photoshop and some Flash/Premiere. I had an artistic background and at the time of developing my Photoshop skill, I was (relatively speaking) one of the better digital artists that I knew of. Looking back at it now, it was probably because I had more exposure to Photoshop than everyone else...not because of my artistic skill (which I find pretty lacking - maybe because I haven't developed it in years).

I continued to be a web designer with minor development skills from high school, all the way until a few of years ago (2000-2007~). I would occasionally do development. I eventually started using <!Doctype> instead of <html>, <div> instead of <table>, css instead of default tag properties. I slowly learned vb syntax. I slowly learned about databases and SQL. I slowly learned c# syntax. All of these things were very gradual, picking up pieces of information here and there...but it was never really my focus. I loved my Photoshop. I thought I could spend all day using Photoshop.

Eventually...my tastes seemed to change. Even with my current eBusiness team, I was originally hired as a designer. A couple of months in and I turned into a hybrid, a designer/developer. I mostly focused on design but I also helped the developers. I was good at debugging, I understood code, logic, etc. Eventually, I made the decision to switch from designer to developer...and I haven't looked back.

I had two concerns regarding being a developer. First, I wasn't sure if my skill would be enough. Being surrounded by awesome developers all day, everyday in Waterloo made me question my skills. Relatively speaking to them, I was a bad developer. But relatively speaking to the general population, I'm average or slightly above average.

My other concern 3 years ago was that I couldn't see myself looking at code all day. I thought it would be boring....but I could see myself using Photoshop all day. This goes back to one of my lifelong goals of finding a profession I enjoy. I wanted to make sure that whatever I was doing, I was having fun. A few more months of Photoshop all day and I started to realize that it didn't quite stimulate my mind like development did. I could do either all day but...development challenged me in more of a traditional sense whereas I felt that design challenged me only if I actually challenged myself to look at things differently.

I started to slowly be drawn into the development world. I like that development focuses on many logical steps to create a seemingly illogical solution. I like that you can develop something, test it, and either feel a sense of accomplishment or reevaluate the problem, test again, and repeat to eventually feel that sense of accomplishment. I didn't really feel that with design. Design is subjective. I could do something that I felt was my best work, only to have some half wit tear it down. I doubt I could handle idiots telling me what they think is best. It would make me frustrated. That's rarely an issue as a developer - except that one recent time when other developers were analyzing/judging my code...that pissed me off >:(

Anyways, I'm a developer now. And I love it. I'm not the greatest developer (not talking web, talking about in general)...but web is seriously EZ MODE in comparison to what's out there. Which is why it's perfect for me. I'm not intelligent enough to be a great developer, I'm not a quick learner and I don't love development like I could/should. I rarely, if ever, look at tech blogs or read up on the latest technologies. But. I'm intelligent enough to do my job well. I'm quick enough to do my job well. I don't need to read about the latest technologies because I wouldn't touch that stuff anyways.

The fact is, I'm good at my job. And I've chosen it because it doesn't challenge me like some jobs could. I like being over qualified rather than being under qualified. I don't think my pride could take being frequently defeated. I know I didn't handle that lack of ASP.NET knowledge well...I freaked out. I was motivated to learn it but that sort of....wore off...I'd much rather watch House :)

There are more challenging jobs out there...and I admire those that want to try them, that reach for the stars, that always want to jump to the next, harder project. I'm a bit more realistic, judging the situation according to my abilities and myself. I don't want to make life too difficult for myself. I enjoy being challenged but I also enjoy being lazy. Working too hard leads to burnout. For me, the key to life is always about balance.

I realize that a younger me would call myself a coward...running away from my problems. But I look at life now and say that I'm happy. Not too difficult...not too easy. Balance works. I'd kick that little kid's ass anyways. Though he could probably outrun me. Little bastard.

I think I'll stop this post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment